From the research I have done the state of the regional industry in 2017 is better than it was in 2016. The regionals are having difficulties financially due to the increased salaries offered to pilots. These increases in salaries are, in part, a result of the 2009 Colgan Air crash. Another result of that crash was increasing the minimum flight hours from 205 to 1,500. This increase has limited the pool of eligible pilots. Another issue in the pilot shortage is the number of active pilots that are reaching the mandatory retirement age of 65. According to a recent report by Cowen & Company, more than 42% of active U.S. airline pilots at the biggest carriers will retire over the next ten years. (Ostrower, 2017) Although the regionals have enough pilots for now, Boeing estimates that 117,000 new pilots will be needed in the next twenty years. (Ostrower, 2017) There is another factor that is causing concern for the regional airline industry. According to Greg Muccio, a senior manager at Southwest Airlines Company, there is a general lack of interest in folks pursuing a career in aviation. (Pilot Career News) This is due to the cost of flight training, low pay at the regional airlines, and the increase in required flight hours.
                I have already touched on the 1,500-hour rule in the previous paragraph, but I will expand on this subject. The 1,500-hour rule enacted in 2015 has had an effect on the region airlines by limiting the number of eligible pilots. In response to this, Senator John Thume has submitted an amendment to this rule. The amendment would give the FAA more flexibility to award training credit to pilots. (Ostrower, 2017) There is another proposed regulation that would allow airlines to substitute flight simulator training and formal class time. (Jansen, 2017) This regulation has yet to be voted on.
                The definition of professionalism in my own words would be character, methods, standards, or status. I have met “professionals” in my life that do not fit the definition of the word. Sure, they dress and act the part, but that is as far as they get. I have also met people who you wouldn’t think are professionals by looking at them, but are far more professional than some of the best dressed imposters out there.
                I do think that pay was a relevant factor in the level of professionalism displayed by the air crew in the Colgan Air accident. According to the cockpit voice recorder, both seemed to be yawning. If the pay scale had been better, the first officer would have been able to call out due to not feeling well.
                Two ways that I plan on using to maintain and expand my professionalism in my career are by always keeping my standards higher than what the company expects. This will ensure that, even if I don’t hit my expectations, I will be ensured that I have met or exceeded what the company deems acceptable. The other way I plan to do this is by not damaging my character. I plan to do what is right, even if that means reporting a fellow employee.

REFERENCES:

CNN Money. 2017, July 31). Retrieved January 19, 2018, from http:// money.cnn.com/2017/07/27/news/companies/pilot-shortage-figures/index.html

Pilot Career News. (2016, August 11). The Truth About the Global Pilot Shortage. Retrieved January 19, 2018, from https://www.pilotcareernews.com/truth-global-pilot-shortage/


Jansen, B. (2017, June 29). Beginning pilots could swap classroom training for flying under Senate bill. Retrieved January 19, 2018, from https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/2017/06/29/beginning-pilots-could-swap-classroom-training-flying-under-senate-bill/439156001/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Military Current and Future Use of UAVs

Mental Illness and the Aviation Industry